1 Tin precooked butterbeans, opened and drained
1 Tin chopped tomatoes, opened
1 Green or red pepper, chopped into thin strips
1 Onion, chopped into small pieces
1 Bay leaf
1 Clove garlic, crushed or finely chopped
2 Teaspoon of 'Mediterranean' herbs, e.g. basil, oregano, thyme or even just mixed herbs
1 Teaspoon oil, olive, sunflower or vegetable
1 Vegetable stock cube
Ground pepper to taste
- Pre-heat oven to 140 degrees Celsius,
- Heat oil in a large, ovenproof dish over a hob. If you do not have an ovenproof dish that can also be used on a hob, transfer the casserole from a saucepan to an ovenproof dish at step 7.
- gently fry the onion until it starts to look a bit different.
- Add in the garlic, stir and fry for another minute or so.
- Add in the rest of the ingredients. Stir.
- Heat until the mixture starts to bubble.
- Place dish in oven. Make sure you use an ovenproof dish.
- Wait for 3 hours.
- Serve with cous-cous or rice.
This recipe will easily multiply up to feed hundreds of people very cheaply.