- 4 or 5 large potatoes or 10 small potatoes, washed and then coarsely grated
- 3 celery sticks, thinly sliced
- 18 kale leaves, thinly sliced perpendicular to stalk
- 1 tbsp. thyme (fresh or dried)
- 3 cloves garlic, finely chopped
- 120g grated strong cheddar
- 3 eggs
- 6 tbsp. plain flour
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Place grated potato, celery, kale, thyme, garlic and cheese in a large bowl and mix well.
- Stir in half the flour and mix well.
- Stir in the 3 eggs and again mix well.
- Stir in the remaining flour and salt and pepper.
- Heat frying pan with olive oil in to a high heat.
- Shape mixture into burgers by pressing together in a circular pastry cutter or in your hands. You should make between 6 and 8 burgers, depending on how large you want them.
- Place burgers in frying pan and reduce head to medium.
- Turn every 4 minutes until golden brown on both sides.
- Check burgers are cooked all the way through by pressing down hard on the back of them with a fish slice. No runny egg mixture should ooze out; if it does then cook burgers more.
- Serve inside a bap with relish, mayonnaise, cheese, bacon, sliced tomato, sliced onion, gerkins or anything else that you think makes a burger.
Serves 6-8 people. Preparation time about 20 minutes, cooking time about 20 minutes.