- 1 tin of chickpeas, drained
- 3 cloves of garlic, chopped
- 4 tablespoons of olive oil
- 4 tablespoons of tahini or peanut butter
- Juice of 2 lemons (or 4 tablespoons of lemon juice from a bottle)
- 2 tablespoons of water
- Salt to taste (I must use about 1/3 teaspoon)
- Cayenne pepper to taste (I must use a small tip of a teaspoon)
- Blend all the ingredients other than the salt and cayenne pepper together until they become a smooth paste.
- Add salt, pepper and possibly more lemon juice to taste, ensuring it's all mixed well between tastings. The saltiness, hotness and sharpness of hommous is the most important part to balance right, which is why these are the last three ingredients you should add.
- Pour into a bowl, sprinkle some extra olive oil on the top to stop it drying out and place in the fridge until needed.
Serve chilled with some green olives and warm bread to dip.