- 1 tin of tomatoes
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1 tbsp balsamic vingear
- 2 cloves garlic, crushed or finely chopped
- 1 chili (optional), chopped
- 1 220g packet of Smash or other instant mashed potato
- Boiling water
- 300g block of blue cheese such as Stilton or Danish Blue
- A little oil or butter for frying
- Place the tomatoes, olive oil, the optional chili, vinegar and garlic in a pan and bring to the boil and simmer for about 30 minutes.
- While the tomato mix is cooking make up the smash/instant mashed potato using three quarter of the water specified on the packet (this is to make it thicker and drier than usual)
- Slice the blue cheese up into blocks about 1 to 2 cm square.
- Using your hands make balls of smash with the blue cheese blocks in the center. About 8 to 10 balls is what you should aim for.
- Heat a frying pan on a medium heat and then gently fry the potato balls in a little oil. Turn them every couple of minutes to ensure that they are not sticking. After about 10 minutes they should be a nice golden brown colour.
- Blend the tomato mix (or mash it with a fork) to make a tomato sauce.
Serves 3 to 4. Nice Served with a green salad.