- 1 pint milk
- 3 tbsp flour
- 25g butter
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 4 carrots, sliced thinly
- 4 leaks, sliced thinly
- 2 onions, finely chopped
- 1 stick celery, finely sliced
- 3 sweet peppers, chopped into strips
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 400g cheddar cheese, grated
- Add the milk, flour and butter to a sauce pan and start to heat gently on a low heat. Stir frequently.
- Fry the vegetables in the olive oil on a medium heat for 15 to 20 minutes.
- Once the milk mixture has started to thicken add most of the cheese (saving a handful for putting on top) and stir until the cheese has melted.
- Add salt and pepper to the cheese sauce to taste.
- Mix the vegetables and cheese sauce together and pour into an ovenproof dish.
- Top with the remaining cheese and put under a hot grill until the top is crisp.
Serves 4. Best served with a loaf of fresh bread.