I love cheese straws. There is something delightful about savoury biscuits flavoured with cheese.
- 150g plain flour
- a pinch of salt
- a pinch of cayenne pepper
- 75g butter, at room temperature
- 100g cheddar cheese, finely grated
- 2 eggs
- Preheat the oven to 180 degrees.
- Mix the flour, salt and cayenne pepper in a bowl.
- Rub the butter into the flour. To do this press the flour and butter between your fingers and rub. Continue to do this until the mixture looks like fine bread crumbs.
- Mix in the finely grated cheese.
- Break in one egg and mix well. Kneed until a stiff dough is formed.
- Roll out to about 5mm thick and cut into straws. Make some of the straws into loops and place them on a baking tray.
- Break the other egg into a cup and whisk it with a fork until it's well mixed.
- Brush the egg onto the straws using a pastry brush or a bit of kitchen towel.
- Bake in the oven for 10 to 15 minutes. The top should be a nice golden brown colour, but not burnt.
- Remove and leave to cool on a cooling rack.