I'd never had Jerusalem artichokes until they arrived in our organic vegetable box one day. After deciding that they could probably be cooked like potatoes I came up with the following recipe.
- 2 onions, finely chopped
- 12 to 14 Jerusalem artichokes, washed and sliced into half-cm slices
- 2 carrots, sliced like the Jerusalem artichokes
- 4 tbsp sunflower oil
- 3 tomatoes, finely chopped
- 300g cous cous
- 600ml boiling water
- Add the onions, Jerusalem artichokes, carrots and sunflower oil to a big frying pan or wok and heat on a medium heat. They'll take 20 to 30 minutes, so stir them often to stop them burning.
- About 5 minutes before the artichokes are ready they'll start to look a bit golden brown. This means it's time to make the cous cous.
- Mix the cous cous with the tomatoes and then add the boiling water. Stir well and leave for 2 minutes.
- Fluff up the cous cous with a fork and then serve with the Jerusalem artichokes when they are nicely browned.
Serves 3 to 4. This is nice served with some kale pesto on the side.