After having my first vegetarian haggis I got a little obsessed with making them. The combination of the oats with the peas and other flavours is a combination I find hard to resist, especially with the moistness that the oats provide which is sometimes missing from other forms of roast (like nut roast).
- 2 onions, finely chopped
- 40g butter
- 400g split yellow peas
- 900ml vegetable stock
- 300g oats or oatmeal
- 300ml boiling water
- 150g pumpkin seeds
- 1 tsp cayenne pepper
- 2 tsp mustard powder
- Pre-heat the oven to 220 degrees.
- Fry the onions in a large pan with the butter until they start to go soft.
- Add the yellow peas and vegetable stock to the pan and simmer gently for 20 minutes.
- Add the oats, the boiling water, pumpkin seeds, pepper and mustard powder and stir well.
- Simmer for a few more minutes until it starts to thicken.
- Pour into a greased oven proof dish.
- Bake for 30 minutes.
Serves 5 to 6.