- 1 onion, coarsely chopped
- 25g ghee or butter
- 2 tbsp plain flour
- 1kg potatoes, washed and chopped into 1 cm cubes
- 200g kale leaves, washed, woody stalks removed and cut into 4 cm lengths
- 1 pint milk
- 4 egg yolks (optional, makes the sauce richer and more decadent)
- 175g Edam cheese, wax removed and thinly sliced
- Preheat the oven to 180 degrees
- Put the ghee/butter and onion in a pan and gently fry for 5 minutes in a saucepan.
- Sprinkle the flour over the onion and stir well so that all the flour absorbs the fat.
- Fry the flour and onion mix for a further 5 minutes.
- Take the saucepan off the heat and pour in the milk (and yolks if using them). Stir well.
- Mix the potatoes, kale and milk mixture in a big bowl.
- Pour the mixture into an oven proof casserole dish.
- Top with slices of the cheese.
- Cover the dish with foil and bake in the oven for an hour.
- Remove the foil and bake for a further 10 minutes.
- Serve immediately.
Serves 3 to 4.