- 1 pint (500ml) milk
- 2 heaped tbsp plain flour
- 1 tsp mustard powder
- 4 cloves garlic, peeled and roughly chopped
- freshly ground black pepper to taste
- 250g spaghetti
- 3 to 4 large carrots, washed, peeled and cut into 3 cm pieces
- 50g medium cheddar cheese, thinly sliced
- Put on a large pan of water to boil for the pasta.
- Preheat the oven to 200 degrees.
- Put the milk, flour, mustard powder, garlic cloves and some black pepper in a saucepan.
- Put a medium heat under the pan and bring it slowly up to a simmer, stirring frequently to stop lumps forming.
- Once the milk and garlic sauce has started to thicken turn the heat right down and add the carrot and spaghetti to the boiling water.
- After 10 minutes strain the carrot and spaghetti to remove the water.
- Place the carrots, spaghetti and garlic sauce in an ovenproof dish and mix well.
- Place the finely sliced cheese over the top and place in the oven.
- Bake for 15 to 20 minutes or until the cheese has gone golden brown.