- 1 red onion, finely chopped
- 200g mushrooms, finely chopped
- 15g butter
- 1 aubergine, sliced in half lengthways and ends removed
- 1 tsp marmite
- 1 sheet of ready rolled puff pastry
- Pre-heat the oven to 200 degrees.
- Put the mushrooms, onions and butter in a small saucepan and cook with a lid on over a low heat for 10 minutes.
- Dry fry the aubergine in a non-stick frying pan or griddle for about 5 minutes on each side. Alternatively you can grill it.
- Add the marmite to the mushroom mixture and cook for a further 5 minutes with the lid on. It should be a sauce that has nicely cooked down now.
- Layout the puff pastry on a baking tray.
- Cover the pastry in the mushroom mixture, leaving a couple of cm at the edge free from the mixture.
- Place the two aubergine halves in the middle of the mushroom mixture. Use some water to dampen the edges of the pastry which haven't got mushroom mixture on.
- Fold up the sides of the pastry so that they meet in the middle and then seal all the edges well by squeezing them together.
- Cook in the oven for 20 minutes, or until the pastry is nice and crisp.
- Serve with crisp roasted potatoes and possibly some gravy.