- 6 courgettes, washed and sliced into 1cm slices
- 1 aubergine, cut into 1cm cubes
- 3 sweet peppers, cored and cut into 1 cm squares
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 568ml milk
- 2 tbsp plain flour
- 2 tbsp sunflower oil
- 1/2 tsp mustard powder
- 300g grated strong cheese, such as cheddar
- 450g pasta, something tube shaped like penne is ideal
- 150g finely grated cheese, again cheddar is good
- Preheat the oven to 200 degrees.
- Toss the pepper, aubergine and courgette pieces in the olive oil and then place in a roasting tin.
- Roast in the oven for 25 minutes.
- While those are roasting, put on a large pan of salted water to cook the pasta in.
- During the time that you're waiting for the roasting vegetables and for the pasta water to come to the boil, put the milk, flour, oil and mustard powder in a saucepan.
- Heat up the milk mixture over a medium heat, stirring frequently.
- When the sauce starts to thicken, turn down the heat to the lowest it can go and let it cook for 10 minutes, stirring every now and then to make sure it isn't sticking.
- By now the pasta water should be boiling, so add the pasta and cook as per the instructions on the packet.
- A couple of minutes before the pasta is done, add the 300g of grated cheese to the milk sauce and stir it until it all dissolves.
- Get a large oven proof dish and combine the pasta and roasted vegetables in it. Mix them well.
- Pour the cheese sauce over the top, making sure to get a good covering so the pasta won't burn.
- Sprinkle the finely grated cheese over the top and bake in the oven for 15 to 20 minutes.
- Serve on it's own as a complete meal.