- 3 medium sized potatoes
- 2 tbsp ghee or butter
- a pinch of salt
- Wash and cut the potatoes into fairly large chunks (about 2 or 3 per potato).
- Boil the potatoes for 15 minutes in fresh water.
- After removing the potatoes from the pan, put them in a bowl of cold water for 5 minutes to cool them.
- When the potatoes are cold enough to hold, dry them with a tea towel or kitchen towel.
- Grate the potatoes coarsely.
- Add a pinch of salt to the grated potatoes and place dry the grated potatoes with the tea towel again.
- Melt 1 tbsp of ghee or butter in a large frying pan on a low heat.
- When the fat is melted and covering the frying pan evenly, add the grated potato and press down firmly.
- Cook for 15 minutes over the low heat.
- Turn the half cooked rosti out on to a plate (this is easiest to do by placing the plate over the frying pan and turning both over together, being careful not to touch the hot pan).
- Melt the remaining ghee or butter in the pan and cook the rosti on the other side for a further 15 minutes.
- Serve straight from the pan and eat while still hot.
Serves 1 to 2.