- 4 potatoes, peeled and cut into chunks
- 4 cloves of garlic, peeled and finely chopped
- 1 tsp olive oil
- 20 sprouts, end chopped off, yellow layers of skins removed and chopped into quarters
- 4 tsp plain flour
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- Put the potatoes in a pan with enough water to cover them and bring them to the boil.
- Boil the potatoes for 15 to 20 minutes, or until soft.
- In a frying pan fry the garlic in the teaspoon of olive oil until it just starts to darken. Over a medium heat this should be a couple of minutes.
- Add the sprouts to the frying pan and stir well. Keep the heat at a medium heat and fry for another 10 minutes, stirring frequently to cook the sprouts evenly.
- Drain the potatoes once they are done and put them in a large bowl.
- Mash the potatoes with a potato masher and then add the sprouts and mash some more.
- Add the plain flour and mix well.
- Divide the mixture into quarters and use your hands to press into burger shaped patties.
- Heat the rest of the olive oil in the frying pan on a high heat.
- Add the four patties to the frying pan and fry for about 7 to 10 minutes on each side.
- If you don't have a non-stick frying pan then slide a fish slice under them every minute or so to make sure they don't stick.
- Serve with dressed sliced tomatoes and some relish or pickle.
- It's also possible to make many more of these and to wrap them in foil and freeze them. When you want to use one, defrost it for five or six hours on a metal baking tray and then fry as above.