- 1 onion, peeled
- 3 medium sized potatoes
- 1 egg
- salt and pepper to taste
- sunflower oil to cover the bottom of a frying pan
- Grate the onion into a clean tea towel and squeeze out excess water.
- Peel the potatoes and then, taking them one potato at a time, grate them into the tea towl, squeezing out the water again. It's important to get the onion and potato as dry as possible so that it all holds together.
- Put the grated onion and potato in a large bowl and add the egg.
- Season with salt and pepper and mix well until it's all well combined.
- Heat the oil in a frying pan over a medium heat until it's hot enough that a piece of the potato mixture starts to fizzle.
- Take a medium sized handful of the mixture, push it together in your hard to form a patty and then place in the frying pan.
- Repeat until all the mixture has been pressed into patties.
- Leave to cook for 5 minutes.
- Use a fish slice to press each hash brown flat in the frying pan and then cook for another 5 minutes.
- Check the underside of each hash brown and when it's nice and golden turn them over.
- Cook the other side for a further 10 minutes, or until golden.
- Serve while still warm with ketchup and mustard.