- 1/2 tsp olive oil
- 230g spinach, washed and roughly chopped
- 2 tsp parsley or mixed herbs
- 200g feta cheese, finely chopped
- 2 eggs, yolk and white lightly beaten together
- 14 sheets of fillo pastry
- 100ml olive oil
- Preheat the oven to 220 degrees.
- Place the spinach, 1/2 tsp olive oil and herbs in a large pan, cover with a lid and heat over a medium heat.
- After about 5 to 10 minutes the spinach should have cooked down to a dark green mass. When it has, removed the pan from the heat and place it to one side to cool.
- Once the pan has cooled for 5 minutes add the feta and egg to the spinach and mix well.
- Use a pastry brush to coat the inside of a deep roasting tin or large cake tin with olive oil. If you don't have a pastry brush then a rolled up stick of kitchen towel can work, but won't give as even coverage and you'll need to watch for leaving behind bits of paper!
- Place a sheet of fillo pastry into the dish and brush olive oil over it. If it's a bit too large for the dish then trim it down a bit or, if it's not too much bigger, just fold over the edges into the dish.
- Repeat with more sheets of fillo pastry until you've got 7 layers in total.
- Next spread the feta and spinach mixture over the inner layer of pastry.
- Add the remaining sheets of fillo pastry to the top of the dish, on top of the feta and spinach mixture.
- Place in the oven and bake for 40 to 50 minutes or until the top is a nice light golden colour.
- Serve on it's own or with a tomato salad.