- 100ml milk
- 2 tbsp plain flour
- 4 slices of bread
- 2 tsp mustard
- 125g grated cheese
- 4 slices of vegetarian ham
- salt and pepper for seasoning
- Put the cold milk and flour in a small sauce pan and put over a low heat. Stir it every minute as it warms up.
- While the milk comes to a simmer (and while continuing to stir regularly), take two of the slices of bread and spread the mustard evenly over them.
- Place a slice of the vegetarian ham on each of the slices of bread.
- Divide half of the grated cheese between the two stacks of bread and ham.
- Top each with the remaining slices of vegetarian ham, followed by the remaining slices of bread.
- Gently press down on the top slices to compress the sandwich slightly.
- By now the milk and flour should be starting to thicken, continue to stir it often and simmer over a low heat for 10 minutes.
- Stir the remaining cheese into the milk sauce and season with salt and pepper.
- Spread the milk and cheese sauce over the top of the two sandwiches.
- Place under a grill on a medium heat and cook until nicely browned.
- Serve immediately so that they are still warm.