- 1 red onion, finely chopped
- 1 tsp olive oil
- 1 tin of chopped tomatoes
- 1 tbsp balsamic vinegar
- 4 parsnips, washed and coarsely grated
- 2 carrots, washed and coarsely grated
- 50g plain flour
- 1 large egg
- 1 tsp oregano
- 1 tsp thyme
- Fry the onion in a saucepan with the olive oil until soft.
- Add the chopped tomatoes and balsamic vinegar and leave to simmer while you prepare the parsnips cakes.
- Mix the grated parsnip, grated carrots, flour, egg, oregano and thyme in a large bowl.
- Heat up a frying pan or griddle to a medium heat.
- Use your hands to press 1/6th of the parsnip mixture into round patties about 2 cm thick.
- Repeat this so you have 6 parsnip cakes.
- Fry or griddle the patties in the pan you've heated up. They'll take about 10 minutes on each side. Turn them once during cooking to brown both sides. If you try to turn them too early then they might fall apart!
- Serve with cous-cous and the tomato sauce on the side.