- 2 red onions, peeled and finely chopped
- 1 tsp olive oil
- 4 slices of bread, made into breadcrumbs
- 4 slices of bread, roughly cut into 1cm squares
- 1 egg, well beaten
- 2 white onions, peeled and finely chopped
- 2 tsp sunflower oil
- 1 tsp dried juniper berries, crushed
- 2 leeks, washed and thinly sliced
- 1 small cabbage, sliced into small strips
- Fry the red onions in the olive oil until soft.
- In a large bowl combine the red onions, breadcrumbs and bread cubes together and mix well.
- Add the egg to the mixture and stir well.
- Use your hands to press the egg/bread mixture into 4 large dumplings.
- In a deep pan fry the white onions in the sunflower oil over a medium heat until they start to soften.
- Add the juniper berries, leeks and cabbage and mix well.
- Turn the heat right down low and make 4 depressions in the leek and cabbage mixture, large enough for the dumplings to rest in.
- Add four tablespoons of cold water to the pan.
- Place the dumplings in the depressions and then put a good fitting lid on the pan.
- Cook for 40 minutes or until the cabbage has softened. If it all starts to look a bit dry then add a couple more tablespoons of fresh water to the pan.