- 190g spinach, washed and rougly chopped
- 1 tsp dried oregano
- 2 tsp olive oil
- freshly ground black pepper
- 250g flour
- 125g butter, ideally at room temperature
- 4 tbsp water
- 200g feta, cut into 1cm cubes
- Preheat oven to 170 degrees.
- Find a suitable dish to go in the oven. I used a 22cm pie dish, but any oven-proof 1.0 litre container should do.
- Put the spinach, oregano, olive oil and black pepper in a large saucepan, add 3 tablespoons of water and put a lid on the saucepan.
- Heat over a low heat for 20 minutes. Once the spinach has cooked down to a denser green mess, make sure to stir it every few minutes to stop it burning.
- While the spinach is cooking make the pastry by placing the flour in a large bowl.
- Cut the butter into small cubes and add it to the flour. Now you need to rub-in the butter and flour. To do this use your finger tips to pick up flour and butter and rub it together. You need to do this until all the butter is mixed. When you've done this the flour and butter mixture should look a bit like breadcrumbs.
- Add the water and mix well. You should be able to form a ball of pastry. If it's not sticking together then add some more water, a small amount at a time.
- Once the pastry is made, roll it out to the diameter of your pie dish.
- When the spinach is done remove it from the heat and let it cool for 5 minutes.
- Add the feta to the spinach and mix well.
- Put the feta and spinach mixture into the pie dish and cover with the pastry.
- Poke a couple of holes in the pastry to allow air to escape and place in the oven.
- Bake for 25 minutes.
- Leave to stand for 5 minutes after removing from the oven to allow the filling to cool a bit.