- 50g pine nuts
- 100g fresh basil leaves
- 2 cloves garlic, peeled and chopped
- 40g parmesan cheese (or vegetarian Italian style hard cheese), finely grated
- 3 tbsp olive oil
- Place the pine nuts in a dry frying pan and heat on a medium heat.
- Move the pine nuts around in the pan every couple of minutes to stop them burning.
- Once brown patches start to develop on the nuts, remove the pan from the heat.
- Combine all the ingredients, including the toasted pine nuts, in a blender.
- Blend until a smooth paste forms.
- Serve with pasta or on toast. This will keep for a few days in a jar in the fridge as well.
Makes about 200g of pesto (half a normal size jam jar).