- 250g cornmeal (might also be called fine polenta)
- 100g plain flour
- 3 tsp baking powder
- 3 chillis, dried or fresh, finely chopped (add more or less to taste)
- 3 cloves garlic, peeled and finely chopped
- 1 egg
- 400ml milk
- 150g cheddar cheese, grated
- Preheat the oven to 200 degrees.
- Grease a 9 inch (23cm) square tin with a bit of butter.
- In a large mixing bowl mix the flour, cornmeal, baking powder, chilli and garlic.
- Add the egg and half of the milk. Stir with a spoon until well mixed.
- Add half of the cheese and the remainder of the milk and mix once more.
- Pour into the greased square tin and then sprinkle the rest of the cheese on top.
- Place in the oven and bake for 30 minutes.
- When the time is up, check that it's cooked all the way through by inserting a knife into the centre. It should come out clean. If it comes out with some batter on it then cook it for a bit longer.
- When it's cooked, remove it from the oven and leave to stand for a couple of minutes.
- Cut into squares and serve with a tex-mex style dish.
Serves 4 to 6 as a side dish.