- 2 large onions, roughly chopped
- 2 tbsp sunflower oil
- 300g vegetarian mince
- 1 to 2 tsp chilli powder
- 140g (about 3 tbsp) tomato puree
- 1 orange pepper, cut into thin strips
- 1 green pepper, cut into thin strips
- 190g tin of sweetcorn
- 20 pitted green olives, cut in half
- 150g cheddar cheese, grated
- 2 vegetable stock cubes
- 150g fine cornmeal (might also be called polenta in some shops, but don't confuse it with pre-cooked blocks of polenta)
- Fry the onion in the sunflower oil in a large pan (I used a wok) until it starts to soften.
- Add the vegetarian mince, chilli powder, tomato puree and 300ml of water to the onion. Stir well.
- Simmer for 15 minutes on a medium heat.
- While that's bubbling away, in a separate sauce pan put the cornmeal, 400ml of water and one of the stock cubes.
- Heat the cornmeal mixture over a medium heat to bring it to a simmer, stirring frequently to stop it sticking.
- Once it's come to a simmer, turn the heat down and cook for 10 minutes.
- Add the peppers, sweetcorn, olives and one of the stock cubes to the mince mixture. Mix well.
- Pre-heat the oven to 180 degrees.
- Simmer the mince mixture for 5 more minutes.
- Stir in the cheese and heat through until it's all melted.
- Pour the mince mixture into a large and deep oven proof dish.
- Spread the cornmeal mixture over the top of the mince mixture.
- Bake in the oven for 25 minutes, or until the top starts to crisp up.