- 1 onion, very finely chopped
- 1 tsp olive oil
- 50g tomato puree
- 2 tins of chopped tomatoes
- 3 bay leaves
- 5 aubergines, washed and sliced into 1cm slices
- 3 x 125g mozzarella balls, sliced into thin slices
- 50g grated hard italian cheese (Parmesan or equivalent)
- 50g grated mozzerella
- Fry the onion in the oil until soft.
- Add the tomato puree, chopped tomatoes and bay leaves and leave to simmer for 45 minutes. Stir occasionally.
- While that's simmering, cook the aubergine on a griddle or in a frying pan. Cook it on a medium to high heat until each side is nicely browned off, turning it over once each side is done.
- Put the aubergine on a plate to the side while you wait for it to cool a bit.
- Pre-heat the oven to 200 degrees.
- Remove the 3 bay leaves from the tomato sauce.
- In a couple of large oven proof dishes, spread 1/4 of the tomato sauce over the base of each one.
- Next layer half the aubergines between the two dishes, then a layer of the sliced mozzarella followed by a sprinkling of 1/4 of the Parmesan in each of the two dishes.
- Then layer the remaining aubergines on top of the Parmesan layer, followed by the remaining Parmesan.
- Carefully divide the remaining tomato sauce between the two dishes, trying to not disturb the layer of Parmesan as you spoon it on.
- Finally sprinkle the grated mozzarella over the dishes.
- Bake in the oven for 40 minutes.
- Serve with a fresh green salad.