- One whole cauliflower, green leaves removed and washed
- 600ml milk
- 3 tbsp plain flour
- 1 tsp dried mustard
- 200g coarsely grated cheese
- 50g finely grated cheese
- 25g breadcrumbs
- Steam the cauliflower in a steamer for 15 to 20 minutes. Test the stalk at the bottom has started to go soft before removing it from the steamer.
- Add the milk, flour and mustard to a cool saucepan and bring to a simmer, stirring constantly with a whisk to stop it sticking or burning.
- Simmer and stir the milk and flour mixture until it thickens into a white sauce.
- Pre-heat the grill on high.
- Stir the coarsely grated cheese into the white sauce and remove from the heat.
- Place the cauliflower in a large ovenproof dish with the stalk side up. Pour a bit of sauce into the spaces between the stalks and then turn over so the dome of the cauliflower is face up.
- Pour the rest of the cheese sauce over the top of the cauliflower.
- Mix the finely grated cheese and breadcrumbs on a plate and then sprinkle over the top of the cauliflower.
- Place under the grill for 5 minutes or until the top is nicely toasted (but not burnt!).
- Serve on it's own or with baked potatoes. The cauliflower goes especially well with some ketchup or english mustard as condiments.
Serves 2 to 3.