- 7 or 8 small beetroot or 4 large, well washed
- 3 tbsp olive oil
- 50g of cashew nuts, roughly chopped
- 4 cloves of garlic, peeled and finely chopped
- 400g pasta, penne work best
- 3 tbsp lemon juice
- 200ml double cream
- Preheat the oven to 200 degrees.
- Add the beetroot to a roasting tin and add the olive oil. Mix it all around so that everything is well covered with the oil.
- Roast in the oven for an hour.
- Remove the beetroot from the oven and set aside to cool.
- Put on a large pan of water for the pasta.
- Add the cashew nuts to a large frying pan over a medium heat(without any oil). Turn every minute or so.
- When the cashew nuts start to toast then remove them from the pan and set aside.
- Pour the oil from the beetroot roasting tin into the frying pan and add the garlic. Fry for a couple of minutes.
- While the garlic is frying, peel the beetroot to remove the outer skin and chop into 1cm or smaller pieces.
- Add the chopped beetroot to the frying pan and leave to cook.
- Put the pasta in the boiling water and cook as per the instructions.
- When the beetroot has heated through for a couple of minutes in the frying pan, add the lemon juice and mix well.
- Next add half the double cream and mix well. Then add the remaining cream.
- Turn the heat on the frying pan right down and leave it to gently come to a simmer.
- By now the pasta should be done so drain it and mix it with the beetroot mixture from the frying pan.
- Serve with freshly grated Parmesan cheese and with the roasted cashew nuts sprinkled on the top.
Serves 3 to 4.