- 3 onions, chopped
- 1 tbsp sunflower oil
- 350g mushrooms, washed and chopped
- 6 potatoes, peeled, washed and cut into 2cm pieces
- 200ml vegetable stock
- 30ml milk
- 200g blue cheese such as Stilton, cut into 2cm pieces
- Place the onions and oil in a saucepan with a lid.
- Put over a medium heat and cook for 20 minutes or so. Stir well every 5 minutes.
- When the onions are soft and started to caramelize/burn, add the onions to the pan and place the lid back on.
- Put the potato pieces into a pan and bring to the boil. Boil for 20 minutes or until soft.
- While the potatoes are cooking keep stiring the mushroom mixture every 5 minutes.
- After 15 minutes remove the lid from the pan and let the mushroom mixture simmer down.
- When the mushroom mixture starts to caramelize/burn on the bottom of the pan add the vegetable stock and stir well to 'deglaze' the pan (which is the cooking way of saying wash the burnt bits off).
- Leave the mushroom mixture simmering for 5 minutes while you prepare the mashed potato.
- Make the mashed potato by mashing the potatoes, milk and cheese together until smooth.
- Serve immediately by putting the potato onto a place, making a well in the center and spooning the mushroom mixture onto it.