- 1 aubergine, sliced into 1/2 cm slices
- 1 onion, finely chopped
- 4 garlic cloves, finely chopped
- 1 lump of ginger, peeled and finely chopped
- 1 tbsp plain flour
- 1 tsp garam masala
- 1 tsp turmeric powder
- 1 tsp medium curry powder
- 300ml vegetable stock
- 3 tbsp plain flour
- 1 egg, beaten with a fork
- crusts from 6 slices of bread, blended into breadcrumbs
- Grill or griddle the slices of aubergine until it's well browned.
- In a small sauce pan mix the onion, garlic, ginger, garam masala, turmeric, curry powder and 1 tbsp of the plain flour.
- Add the vegetable stock to the mixture and mix well until all the flour is dissolved.
- Bring the curry mixture to a simmer and simmer for 10 minutes, stirring well every minute to stop it burning or lumps forming.
- Put the other 3 tbsp of plain flour into a small plate. Do similar with the breadcrumbs and the beaten egg into a wide bowl.
- Coat the aubergine pieces in bread crumbs by putting them in the flour, then the egg and then the breadcrumbs.
- Fry the breaded aubergine slices for 5 minutes on each side, or until the breadcrumbs are a nice crispy brown colour.
- Serve with rice.