- 2 onions, finely chopped
- 2 tsp sunflower oil
- 1 celariac, peeled and chopped into 1cm pieces
- 1 dried chilli, crushed
- 1 star of star anise, whole
- 1 tsp ground ginger
- 1 tsp turmeric
- 1/2 tsp asafoetida compound (optional)
- 1 tsp paprika
- 1/2 tsp cayenne pepper
- 100ml yoghurt
- Fry the onion in the oil in a large sauce pan until soft.
- Add all the other ingredients to the pan apart from the yoghurt. Add 150ml of water.
- Stir well and bring to a simmer.
- Simmer for 20 minutes, or until the celariac starts to soften. Stir every couple of minutes to ensure even cooking.
- Remove the pan from the heat and stir in the yoghurt just before serving. If you do it too early then it can curdle and separate in the heat.
- Serve with rice and/or naan bread.