- 3 leeks, washed and thinly sliced
- 4 carrots, peeled and finely diced
- 2 tbsp sunflower oil
- 4 tsp vegetable bouillon powder or 2 stock cubes
- 1/2 tsp cayenne pepper
- 1000ml boiling water
- 150g pearl barley
- 100g porridge oats
- Add the leeks, carrots, oil, bouillon and cayenne pepper to a large sauce pan.
- Place a lid on the saucepan and cook over a low heat for 20 minutes, stirring every 5 minutes.
- Add the pearl barley and boiling water to the pan and bring to a simmer.
- Simmer for 50 minutes with the lid on.
- Pre-heat the oven to 160 degrees.
- Add the porridge oats and simmer for a further 10 minutes with the lid off. Stir it well every minute or so to stop it sticking on the bottom of the pan as it thickens.
- Pour into a large, pre-greased, oven proof dish.
- Cover with foil and bake in the oven for 45 minutes.
- Remove the foil and bake for a further 20 minutes.
- Serve with mashed neeps and tatties.
Serves 6 to 8.