- 1 onion, finely chopped
- 2 tbsp ghee
- 150g dried barley
- 4 carrots, washed and sliced
- 100g porridge oats
- 100g chopped mixed nuts
- 600ml vegetable stock
- Pre-heat the oven to 180 degrees.
- Fry the onion in ghee until soft over a medium heat.
- Pour boiling water over the barley to pre-soak it.
- Add the carrots and fry for 5 minutes.
- Drain the excess liquid off the barley.
- Add the barley and oats to the carrots and onions and mix well.
- Fry for 3 minutes.
- Add nuts and then pour in the vegetable stock.
- Mix everything well and turn the heat down to low.
- Simmer for 15 minutes, stirring frequently to prevent it sticking.
- Press the mixture into a large pre-greased dish and bake in the oven for 20 minutes.
- Serve with neeps and tatties.