- 2 tins of pre-cooked chickpeas, drained
- 4 cloves of garlic, peeled and roughly chopped
- a bunch (about 30g) of leaves of coriander
- a bunch (again about 30g) of parsley leaves
- 1 red onion, peeled and roughly chopped
- 1 tsp cayenne pepper
- 1 tsp ground cumin
- 1 tsp ground corriander
- 2 tbsp lemon juice
- 2 tbsp gram (or plain) flour
- 1 tsp bicarbonate of soda
- Enough sunflower oil to fill a frying pan to about 1cm depth
- Place all the ingredients apart from the oil into a blender and blend until combined. Don't over blend or the falafel will lose all their texture.
- Heat the oil in the frying pan over a medium heat.
- Use your hands and palms to shape the blended ingredients into small falafel shaped balls or into flat patties.
- Place in the oil and cook for a couple of minutes on each side. If the oil doesn't sizzle when you first add the mixture then it isn't hot enough, so raise the heat under it a bit.
- Serve hot or cold on a salad of fresh leaves.