- 140g tomato purée
- 2 vegetable stock cubes
- 750ml boiling water
- 5 large potatoes, peeled and sliced as thinly as possible
- 1 large turnip, peeled, cut into quarters and thinly sliced
- 5 cloves of garlic, peeled and thinly sliced
- 3 thin slices of butter, cut into quarters
- fresh ground black pepper
- Preheat the oven to 170 degrees.
- Put the tomato purée and stock cubes into a large jug and pour the boiling water over them.
- Mix well until all the tomato and stock is dissolved.
- Grease a large roasting dish with high sides with some butter.
- Place half the sliced potatoes over the bottom of the dish.
- Next sprinkle half the chopped garlic over the potatoes, season with pepper and add the quarters of one of the slices of butter.
- Then create a layer using the sliced turnip. Cover the turnip with the rest of the garlic, some pepper and the quarters of another slice of butter.
- Finally put a top layer of the remaining potatoes over the top.
- Pour the stock and purée mixture all over the dish.
- Season with pepper and the last bits of butter. Ddo this after you pour on the stock, otherwise it'll get washed away.
- Cover the dish with foil and tuck the foil in at the edges.
- Place in the oven for an hour.
- Once the hour is up remove the foil and turn the temperature down to 160 degrees.
- Bake for a further 30 minutes with the foil off to create a nice crisp top.
Serves 2 as a main on it's own or 4 to 6 as a side dish.