- 2 tsp sunflower oil
- 1 whole red cabbage, cut into quarters and finely sliced
- 400ml red wine
- generous seasoning of salt and pepper
- 125g chopped walnuts
- Put the oil, cabbage, red wine and salt and pepper in a large sauce pan and bring to a low simmer.
- Simmer on a low heat with a lid on for 45 minutes, stirring every 15 minutes.
- Add the malnuts and mix well. If it's starting to look a bit dry then add a bit more wine.
- Simmer for a further 30 minutes, checking halfway through to make sure it's not got dry. If it has gone dry then add a bit more wine or water to stop it from burning on the bottom. However you don't want any liquid at the end, so don't add too much.
- When the 30 minutes is up, check the cabbage is cooked through and no longer crisp before serving. If it's still got a bit of crunch then simmer it all a bit longer.
- Serve with long grain rice.
Serves 3 to 4.