- 4 cloves garlic, peeled and roughly chopped
- 1 large onion, peeled and roughly chopped
- 1 stock cube
- 1 tsp powdered ginger
- 1 tsp fenugreek powder
- 1 tsp powdered turmeric
- 1 chilli, roughly chopped (I used a dried one, but a fresh chilli would work)
- 1 pointed cabbage, quartered and cut into 1cm wide strips (discard the hard core of the cabbage)
- 35g butter, cut into cubes
- Put the garlic, onion, stock cube, ginger, fenugreek, turmeric and chilli in a blender with a couple of tablespoons of cold water.
- Blend the spices and onion into a smooth paste.
- Put this smooth paste into a large pan like a wok and fry over a medium heat for a couple of minutes.
- Add the cabbage and 400ml cold water.
- Simmer on a medium to low heat for 20 minutes with a lid on the pan. Stir every couple of minutes to stop it sticking.
- Remove the lid and simmer for a further 10 minutes. Continue to stir frequently.
- When the cabbage is nice and soft remove the pan from the heat and stir in the cubes of butter.
- Serve with some rice on the side.
Serves 2 to 3.