- 1 onion, finely chopped
- 1 tsp sunflower oil
- 200g basmati rice
- 1 vegetable stock cube
- 550ml water
- a pinch of saffron (probably about 10 to 15 strands)
- Fry the onion in the oil in a saucepan with a lid until it starts to soften.
- Add the basmati rice, stock cube and water to the saucepan.
- Crush the saffron with a pestle and mortar (or the back of a spoon) and add to the pan.
- Stir the mixture in the pan.
- Place the lid on the sauce pan and cook on a low heat until all the water is absorbed. This should take about 30 to 40 minutes.