- 300g macaroni
- 750ml milk
- 25g butter, cut into cubes
- 2 tbsp plain flour
- 1 tsp mustard powder
- 250g cheddar cheese, grated
- 3 tbsp breadcrumbs
- 25g cheddar cheese, finely grated
- 1/2 tsp mustard power
- Put the macaroni, milk, butter, plain flour and 1 tsp of the mustart powder into a saucepan.
- Bring to a simmer, stirring almost constantly while you do, to allow the flour to dissolve.
- Cook over a medium heat for 20 to 25 minutes, stirring frequently to prevent it sticking on the bottom.
- When the sauce is nice and thick and the pasta has gone soft, mix in the 250g of grated cheese, stirring until it's all melted in.
- On a plate combine the breadcrumbs, remaining cheese and mustard powder and then sprinkle over the top of the pasta in cheese sauce.
- Place under a grill on high and grill until the top is nicely toasted. Make sure not to get the saucepan handle under the grill if it's a plastic handle!
- Serve with a handful of cherry tomatoes cut in half.