- 160g dried split peas, soaked overnight in plenty of cold water
- 4 soft tortilla
- 1 tbsp sunflower oil
- 2 onions, peeled and finely chopped
- 1 leek, washed, top and tail removed and thinly sliced
- 1 tbsp ground cumin
- 1 tbsp paprika
- 1 tbsp ground coriander
- 1/2 tsp cayenne pepper
- 3 tbsp lemon juice
- 2 ripe avocados, peeled and cut into 1cm pieces
- 30g cheese, grated
- Preheat the oven to 180 degrees
- Drain the soaked split peas and put them in a saucepan.
- Cover with plenty of water and bring to the boil on a high heat.
- Boil on a rolling boil for 10 minutes, then reduce the heat so that it's just a simmer and simmer for 30 minutes.
- Use an upside-down muffin tin to hold the tortillas in a taco shape and bake them in the oven for 10 minutes to crisp them up.
- While the peas are simmering and the tortillas are crisping up, fry the onions and leek in the sunflower oil in a deep frying pan or wok.
- When the onions have softened, add the cumin, paprika, coriander, pepper and lemon juice to them.
- Stir the spiced onion mixture well and fry for a couple more minutes on a medium heat.
- Don't forget to take the tortillas out of the oven!
- Once the peas are cooked, drain them and add them to the onions.
- Turn the heat under the onion and pea mixture up to a medium level and make sure it's all heated through.
- Add the chopped avocados and mix well. Leave for a minute to heat through, but not too long as then the avocados pieces will start to fall apart.
- Arrange the crisp tortillas on a plate and fill with the avocado and split pea mixture.
- Top the tacos with the grated cheese.
- Serve with some tomato salsa in a bowl for people to add as desired.