- 150g butter, at room temperature
- 150g caster sugar
- 2 large eggs, beaten in a cup
- 150g self-raising flour
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 2 ripe bananas, mashed into a paste with a couple of drops of milk
- 50g icing sugar
- 3 tsp lemon juice
- Preheat the oven to 180 degrees (160 degrees if using a fan oven).
- Line a suitable sized cake tin (20cm x 20cm or a 2lb loaf tin) with baking parchment and grease it with butter.
- Cream the butter and caster sugar together in a bowl until they are a fluffy and smooth paste.
- Add half the beaten egg and mix well. Once it has all mixed add the remaining egg (doing it in two steps should stop it curdling).
- Add the flour, baking powder and banana paste to the bowl and mix well.
- Pour into the cake tin and place in the oven.
- Bake for 25 to 30 minutes, checking when it is done by a skewer coming out clean.
- Leave to cool for 15 minutes then carefully remove from the tin.
- Once it is entirely cool, mix the icing sugar and lemon juice into a paste and drizzle over the cake.
Makes a 20cm x 20cm cake or a 2lb loaf.