- 4 large carrots, peeled and cut into large pieces
- 12 to 16 small new potatoes
- 1 lamb boneless shoulder joint (about 750g)
- 1 lamb stock cube
- 100ml boiling water
- 300ml red wine, such as a Chianti
- 2 sprigs of rosemary, cut in half
- salt and pepper
- Put the carrots and potatoes into the bottom of the slow cooker.
- Place the lamb joints, with string removed, on top of the vegetables.
- Dissolve the stock cube in the boiling water.
- Add the stock and wine into the slow cooker.
- Place the rosemary into the slow cooker and season with salt and pepper.
- Put the lid on the slow cooker and cook on slow for 8 hours.
- Serve onto plates.
- The liquid in the bottom of the slow cooker can be made into a gravy by adding a couple of tablespoons of plain flour to the bottom of a pan, mix into a paste with a couple of spoons of the liquid and then add about half a pint of the liquid. Simmer over a low heat for 10 minutes and season to taste with salt and pepper.
Makes enough for four people.