- 1.1kg of potatoes, peeled
- 2 onions, peeled
- 300ml hot water
- 1 vegetable stock cube
- 125ml milk
- 50g butter, at fridge temperature
- salt and pepper to taste
- Preheat the oven to 180 degrees.
- Slice the potatoes and onions as thinly as possible. If you have a mandolin slicer then use that.
- Grease a large and deep oven proof dish.
- Place a third of the potatoes into the oven proof dish, then half the onions.
- Cover with another third of the potatoes, the remaining onions and then finally the last of the potatoes.
- Dissolve the stock cube in the hot water and then pour the stock and milk over the potato and onions.
- Dot the top with thin slices of the butter (it's easier to slice if it's from the fridge).
- Season with salt and pepper.
- Bake for 60 minutes, or until the top is nice and browned.
Makes enough for a generous four portions.