- 3 onions, peeled and thinly sliced
- 2 tbsp sunflower oil
- 120g gram flour
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp cayenne pepper
- 1 tsp ground cumin
- 1 tsp garam massala
- 1 tsp ground turmeric
- a pinch of salt
- 100ml water
- 4 tbsp sunflower oil
- Fry the onions in the two tablespoons of oil until soft.
- Put the onions into a mixing bowl and add all the other dry ingredients.
- Mix well.
- Add the water and stir until it's a good sticky mixture.
- Heat the remaining oil in a large frying pan over a medium heat.
- Split the onion mixture into sixths and drop into the hot oil.
- After a minute or so, press the onion bhajis into low disc shapes.
- Cook for 10 minutes, or until browned, and then turn over.
- Fry the other side until browned, about 10 minutes.
- Remove from the pan and drain on kitchen towel for a couple of minutes before serving.
Makes 6 large bhajis.