- 375g ready-to-eat dates, roughly chopped
- 6 tablespoons of orange juice
- 175g porridge oats
- 360g plain flour
- 120g dark brown sugar
- 3 teaspoons ground cinnamon
- 240g butter, melted
- Preheat the oven to 200 degrees.
- Put the dates and orange juice into a saucepan and put on a low heat. Simmer for about 10 minutes, or until soft.
- While the dates are simmering, mix all the dry ingredients together in a large bowl. Make sure there are no lumps or uneven bits.
- Carefully melt the butter and pour it into the bowl with the large ingredients.
- Mix well until it's got a nice crumbly texture.
- Put half the crumble mixture into a 23x27cm tin. Press it down with your finger tips so it is in an even layer.
- Put the date and orange mixture over the top of the crumble mixture in the tin and make sure it is evenly spread. It can be a little tricky to spread without pulling up a few crumbs of the mixture, so don't worry if you do.
- Top with the remaining crumble mixture and press down firmly with your finger tips.
- Place in the oven and bake for 20 minutes or until golden.
- Remove from the oven and leave to cool in the tin. Once it is entirely cool use a sharp knife to cut into squares and carefully lift out of the tin.