- 12 vegetarian sausages
- 2 tbsp sunflower oil
- 1 large white onion, finely chopped
- 2 medium red onions, finely chopped
- 2 aubergines, ends removed and cut into half inch (1.5 cm) pieces
- 1 400g tin of chopped tomatoes
- 3 cloves of garlic, crushed
- 1 400g tin of haricot beans, drained and rinsed
- 1 tsp chilli powder
- 1 vegetable stock cube
- 150ml water
- 150ml red wine
- 2 tbsp tomato puree
- 1 tbsp Henderson's Relish (or Worcestershire sauce if you really can't get Henderson's)
- 1 tbsp dark brown sugar
- 1 tsp mixed herbs
- salt and pepper to taste
- Put the sausages and oil into a large frying pan and fry over a medium heat for 5 minutes.
- Turn the sausages so that another side of them can be browned and cook for a further 5 minutes.
- Once again turn the sausages but this time add the onion and mix well before frying for a further 5 to 10 minutes. If you have a lid for your frying pan then use it to speed up the cooking time.
- When the onion is soft transfer everything to your slow cooker.
- Add all the remaining ingredients and mix well.
- Cook on low for 8 hours. Stir it all about halfway through to make sure the aubergine is evenly cooked.
- Serve with slices of crusty white bread to dip.
Serves 4 to 5.