- One onion, finely chopped
- Two carrots, roughly chopped
- 2 cloves of garlic
- 1 chicken stock cube
- 1 bay leaf
- 500g dried split green peas
- 1kg gammon joint, a smoked sweet cure is best
- 20g fresh mint
- Place all the ingredients apart from the gammon and the mint into the slow cooker.
- Cover with boiling water and mix well.
- Place the gammon on top of the mixture, fat side up and top up the water so that it is mostly covered.
- Cook on low for 8 hours.
- Remove the gammon from the slow cooker and trim the fat off it.
- Use forks to rip the gammon into small strips and return these to the slow cooker and mix well.
- Finely chop the fresh mint with a knife.
- Serve into bowls, garnishing each bowl with a sprinkle of the mint and an optional spoonful of cremé fraiche if you have some to hand.
Serves 5 to 6 people.