- 3 large potatoes, washed and any bad bits cut out
- 25g butter
- 1 chicken or vegetable stock cube
- 200ml boiling water
- 2 cloves of garlic, peeled and chopped in half
- Cut the potatoes into slices about an inch or an inch and a half in width.
- Melt the butter in a pan large enough to hold all the potatoes over a medium-high heat.
- When the butter starts to bubble, place the potatoes into the pan.
- Sear the first side of the potatoes for 3 or 4 minutes and then turn them over.
- Give the other side a further 3 or 4 minutes.
- Dissolve the stock cube in the boiling water.
- Pour the stock water into the pan and add the garlic.
- Reduce the heat and simmer for 20 minutes.
- Turn the potatoes again and give another 5 to 10 minutes. If the pan is starting to get dry add a bit more liquid, but remember that you want it to all be reduced down before serving.
- Remove the potatoes from the pan, serve as a side dish and drizzle any remaining liquid in the pan over the potatoes.