- 175g spreadable butter (vegetable fat blended with buttermilk or butter)
- 175g caster sugar
- 175g self-raising flour
- 50g ground almonds
- 3 tsp caraway seeds
- 60ml milk
- 3 eggs
- 2 tbsp of unrefined granulated sugar
- 10g (about 1 tbsp) flaked almonds
- Preheat the oven to 180 degrees Celsius.
- Put the butter and caster sugar in a bowl and cream together.
- Add the flour, ground almonds, caraway seeds, milk and eggs and mix together until a smooth batter is formed.
- Pour the batter into a lined 2lb loaf tin. It's easiest to get some of the pre-made liners rather than trying to cut greaseproof paper to fit.
- Use the back of a spoon to level off the batter. Sprinkle the granulated sugar followed by the flaked almonds over the top of the mixture.
- Place in the oven for an hour.
- Use a skewer to test that the cake is cooked in the centre (it should come out clean). You might need an extra 10 minutes, depending on how powerful your oven is.
- Remove from the oven and leave for 20 minutes in the tin.
- Lift the cake out of the tin and leave to cool on a rack.
- Once fully cool, store the cake in an airtight container and enjoy.
Makes a 2lb loaf shaped cake.