- 7g quick action yeast
- 350g plain flour (not strong)
- 2 tbsp caster sugar
- 2 tsp baking powder
- 1 tbsp dried milk powder
- 2 tbsp vegetable oil
- 200ml warm water
- Cut 32 squares of greaseproof paper, about a couple of cm on each side.
- Place all the ingredients in a bread maker and put onto the pizza dough setting. If you don't have a bread maker then mix all the dry ingredients be fore slowly adding the liquid, then work the dough until it stops being incredibly sticky and finally leave to rest in a warm place for 30 minutes (a bread maker does make things far easier).
- Dust a surface with a bit of plain flour and use some to coat your hands.
- Divide the dough into 32 balls and lay out on a surface.
- Leave to rise for a couple of minutes (but not too long as then they'll dry out).
- Use your fingertips to press each ball into a 3 inch wide circle.
- Place the circle on a square of paper and then place about a tablespoon of filling in the middle.
- Use your fingertips to draw the edges up to the middle and pinch together.
- Transfer to a tray and leave to rise for 30 minutes while you make the others.
- When ready to eat, steam for 10 to 12 minutes. You don't have to remove the paper before placing in the steamer.
Make 32 bao.