- 350g courgette (about 2 normal supermarket courgettes), coarsely grated
- 2 large eggs
- 125ml vegetable oil
- 90g unrefined caster sugar
- 300g plain flour
- 1/2 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp bicarbonate of soda
- 85g walnuts, finely chopped
- 150g sultanas
- 1/2 tsp freshly grated nutmeg
- 2 tsp vanilla extract
- Pre-heat the oven to 180 degrees (or 160 degrees if using a fan oven, but try to avoid it).
- Place a baking parchment liner in a 2 lb loaf tin.
- In a large bowl, place the courgette, eggs, vegetable oil and sugar.
- Mix the wet ingredients well.
- Pour the flour over the wet mixture in the bowl, and make a small well in the centre before adding the baking powder and bicarbonate (you don't want it to get wet before the flour).
- Add the walnuts and sultanas to the side, along with the grated nutmeg and vanilla extract.
- Mix well with a wooden spoon until all combined.
- Pour into the pre-lined tin and bake in the oven for 60 to 70 minutes.
- Check that it is cooked by inserting a skewer into the centre: when it's cooked all the way through the skewer will come out clean.
Makes a 2 lb cake.