- 450g closed cup mushrooms, cut in half and sliced thinly
- 25g butter
- 10g dried porcini mushrooms
- 100ml boiling water
- 1 pot of chicken stock gel (or stock cube)
- 300ml milk
- salt and pepper to taste
- 2 tbsp plain flour
- 4 onions, peeled and thinly sliced
- 6 tbsp sunflower oil
- 650g frozen green beans
- Place the butter and closed cup mushrooms into a saucepan and cook over a low heat for 30 minutes, or until the mushrooms really start to dry out and brown.
- Meanwhile, put the porcini mushrooms into the boiling water and leave them for at least 10 minutes to re-hydrate.
- After the procini mushrooms are nice and soft, remove them from the water (but keep the water) and finely chop them.
- When the closed cup mushrooms are done, add the porcini mushrooms, their water, the chicken stock gel/cube, the milk, salt and pepper and plain flour into the pan and mix well until all combined.
- Pre-heat the oven to 200 degrees Celsius.
- In a large saucepan, heat the onions and sunflower oil over a medium heat until the onions are nice and soft, about 10 to 15 minutes.
- Combine the mushroom liquid, half the fried onions (and all of the liquid from the onions) and the green beans together and pour into a large oven proof dish.
- Cover the dish with foil and bake in the oven for 50 minutes.
- Remove the foil, sprinkle the remaining fried onions over the top and return to the oven for 15 minutes.
- Serve with roasted or slow cooked meats such as beef or pork.
Serves 6 as a generous side dish.